Monday, July 27, 2009

Thing 10: Ning

I did not join Ning, but I did play around with it. I watched the tutorial, looked around in the ALA network and searched for a few topics of interest to me.

What I like about Ning is that networks connect people interested in a particular topic as opposed to just creating an ever-widening network of people based on your friends, family and colleagues like on Facebook. Not to say I prefer it over Facebook, but it appears to fill a different need. It is also much more customizable than FB. Not only does each network differ from all the others in looks, each one provides different features, depending on the needs of that network.

Ning reminds me of Twine, which provides a means for people to share information on a specific topic (a twine). It seems to focus less on social networking and more on idea networking. Ning seems to combine the features of both Twine and Facebook to provide a complete networking tool.

I intend to play around with Ning some more. I might be induced to join if I find (or think of) a network that I simply must join.

No comments:

Post a Comment