Monday, July 27, 2009

Thing 11: Instant Messaging

I've been using instant messaging for many years. I started at my last job (2000-2003) using ICQ to communicate with my co-workers. Currently, I am using IM at work using Spark (the official UT Arlington IM client).

We are also using IM for online reference. The Science & Engineering Library uses Meebo to login to Yahoo, Google Talk, AIM, MSN and Meebo accounts. At the moment, the person manning the reference desk monitors the Meebo account. We have widgets set up for users to contact us (on our blog, on our subject guides, etc.). So far, we get very few IM reference calls (1-5 per month), so it's working. We have discussed, should use pick up, whether we ought to have a dedicated monitor for the reference IM client.

I rarely use IM for personal use. I do have accounts, but as a rule I don't log in, since few people I know use it regularly. It also conflicts with IM reference, knocking me out of being logged in to the library's shared account. I do not accept users I don't recognize, but I will accept anyone who identifies themselves with NT23. If you can catch me logged in, I'll definitely reply!

Google Talk: cdwalter
Meebo: cdwalter
Yahoo: c.walter@prodigy.net
Spark (Jabber): cdwalter (might need to be cdwalter@uta.edu)

No comments:

Post a Comment