Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Thing 8: Facebook

I've had a Facebook account for a couple years now, so I'll talk about how my relationship with the site evolved over time.

I joined reluctantly because my daughter asked me to. At first, I couldn't get the point. Why did she have to poke me or write on my wall? What was wrong with good old fashioned email, after all?

For the first year or so, I went in only occasionally. Then I discovered that several of my co-workers were on, so I "friended" them. Now, I'd say the majority of my colleagues, all my family and many old chums (even from elementary school) are in my friend list.

I love keeping up with the activities of my friends and colleagues, but I'm ambivalent about all the "fun" activities. Some of the games are fun (Lexulous!), but sometimes I find it tedious to wade through all the fish, plants, farm animals, mafia weapons, etc., etc., etc. So I am often way behind on that stuff. I can see how it could be fun, but most of it seems like a tremendous waste of time.

Wish I could have the one without all the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment