Friday, July 24, 2009

Thing 9: More Facebook

As I wrote in the Thing 8 post, it took me a while to warm to Facebook. Now it is my home page at home. It reminds me to see what my friends are up to before I go on the task at hand.

I rarely contribute thoughts to the “What’s on your mind” field, mainly because I can't seem to come up with anything funny/profound in the few minutes I'm in there. I would like to post more, though. It seems a bit one-sided to get to keep up others and not let others keep up with me, if they want to. Sort of like lurking on a LISTSERV--receiving a lot, but giving little back.

For this assignment, I posted two comments, one with a link to my favorite library site, Unshelved. I also became a fan of the ALA. I also joined three groups. I joined a group called "Really cool people from Rapid City Central," which is the high school I attended in Rapid City, SD. It's an embarrassing title, but I thought it might be a good way to connect with old friends.
I also joined Dead King's Pillow, a now defunct band of which my brother was a member, and American Library Association Members (though I'm not one yet).

Overall, I enjoy Facebook. It seems to be a good way to follow friends, public personalities, groups, and causes of interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment