Thursday, August 6, 2009

Thing 14: Delicious

As I wrote in my Tagging blog entry, I haven't quite yet taken to social bookmarking. But I'm open to experimenting.

So I returned to the Delicious page. I had imported 269 bookmarks, but they seem to all be lumped together in one folder called "Imported." This is not very useful. Not one of the categories listed on the page are ones that are useful for me. I'm remembering why I found it so confusing and so NOT useful for me.

Perhaps each organization type suits the cognitive abilities of specific users. Perhaps the way my brain organizes information doesn't correspond well to the tagging format. Perhaps I am not a "drill down" kind of gal. I never consult a table of contents when an index is available. I gravitate to a search box rather than than categories when given an option.

I'm afraid this is going to be another tool that I'm going to have "take to" in the long run. Or not. I'm unwilling to force the use of a tool that I find confusing when another tool will work.

I will give Delicious more time. As I wrote in my last post, I believe in the collective intelligence experiment, and will continue to explore whether Delicious contributes something useful for me. (But in the meantime, give Twine a try.)

No comments:

Post a Comment