Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Thing 21: Podcasts

At first, I thought I wasn't going to find any library podcasts that work. The first few either went nowhere or timed out. One site required installation of a plugin I didn't want, and the next few had podcasts that were related to subject areas, but not to library issues. Several dropped me into iTunes without directing me to the specific podcast I was seeking. Very disorienting!

Then I hit the Tisch Talks. This podcast series provides a plethora of information about the Tisch Library at Tufts University, including information about the library facilities, services, resources, staff, etc.

Next, I went to Podcast Alley and searched using "library" as my search term. Unfortunately, all the podcasts here appear to require installation of a podcast aggregator, which I didn't want to do, at least at the moment. Maybe later.

Podcasts can definitely play a role in the technology services libraries provide their patrons. They would be particularly helpful for auditory learners. However, I think for most instruction, something visual (video or animation) would be more useful for most learners. If I were looking for help on a library website, I would not look for podcasts, but I would certainly subscribe to a podcast that discusses library topics--particularly if they provide deep and nuanced discussions of current and relevant issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment