Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Thing 20: YouTube

YouTube is very relevant to my library branch at the moment, because we are smack-dab in the middle of creating a tour video. Shooting was last week. We have spent a lot of time preparing for it, yet I still expect the production value to be fairly low. I can't imagine how libraries have time for regular shooting, though maybe we are aiming rather high for our first video. (We are getting professional help for the shooting, lighting, audio, and post-production, btw.)

I enjoyed viewing a variety of library-related videos on YouTube. We had come across a few of them while seeking ideas for our video, but I came across a good variety. Production value is all over the map, which I suppose is an indication of the value placed on video by a library's administration.

I believe that videos can be very valuable, not only for marketing, but for training. Showing a student how to use library services and resources has got to be more effective, particularly for visual and kinetic learners.

As bandwidth increases across the general population, I believe libraries will depend more on video (and possibly 3D animation) to communicate with patrons.

No comments:

Post a Comment